HP G72-250US 17.3-Inch Laptop
|Average Customer Review: ( 36 customer reviews )
Write an online review and share your thoughts with other customers.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
42 of 42 found the following review helpful:
Max real estate for the buck Aug 05, 2010
I wanted to replace my 2005 laptop with a 4GB, Core i3 machine and went looking for the best bang for the buck in this category. I did not want thin and light - this machine would rarely leave the house and I would just get a desktop except that, these days, it's nice to be able to move the PC from desk to couch to bed to kitchen for use as a TV, as a phone, as a photo album, as toddler entertainment...
The HP was on sale and provided the absolute max amount of screen for the dollar, and that was the deciding factor for me. Unlike a few years ago, most current laptops now have tremendous similarity in design and subcontractor components, so they all have decent keyboard, memory, hard drive, webcam, etc. But the screen on the HP was enormous compared to others at this price point and the casing had a nice texture.
I am very, very happy with this machine. If you are looking for desktop replacement, go big and you will not be disappointed. The only minor flaw so far is the miniature up/down arrows mentioned by another reviewer, though you canalways use the numeric keypad as backup arrows. I actually like the reprogramming of the useless F1-F12 keys for volume and other functions (a la Mac Book Pro) and consider this a plus.
Again, great value, great feel, freaking giant screen. Love it.
33 of 34 found the following review helpful:
Update: lasted 2.5 years Aug 04, 2010
Edit August 2013: This laptop has been toast for months now, with the same problem as my previous HP laptop: a bad fan. Unfortunately, you can't replace the fan without ripping the entire laptop apart (I successfully did this with my old one, but it took many hours). I watched my laptop overheat more and more often until a mere flash video was enough to do it. I finally ditched it and built a very nice PC. In retrospect, this laptop only deserved 3-4 stars. It was so cheap for its specs when I bought it that I really didn't expect an amazing machine, but for the 2.5 years before the fan broke, I felt like I got a deal. Would I buy an HP laptop again? Probably not. This is the second one I've owned that has had a fan problem, both in under 3 years. It ran very well until the fan broke, though.
28 of 29 found the following review helpful:
Great machine at a good price Jul 31, 2010
By Joseph Rochetto
I wanted a 17" screen with 16:9 resolution and 4GB memory at the lowest price I could find. I considered a similar Toshiba offered as a special at the same price by Costco but decided against it because I don't like the feel of Toshiba keyboards and their machines in general seem to have a lower quality feel and look about them. Dell also was offering a similar, discontinued model for a hundred dollars more. I've owned several Dells and have nothing against them but I wanted to try a different brand and this was $100 less. I immediatley liked the feel of the keyboard as opposed to the Toshiba. I also like the look of the silver case, much classier than either the Dell or the Toshiba. I've only owned the machine a short while and so cannot speak to it's long term reliability but so far it is fast and easy to use with no problems. It comes with a 320GB hard drive. I wish it had 500GB as the Toshiba did. But, truth is, 320 is perfectly adequate for most peoples needs. I also wish it had a backlit keyboard as the Toshiba did and so did my previous Dell laptop. I miss that. But for a 17" screen with 16:9 resolution (great for videos, etc. an amazing difference from the 13:7 resolution found in most 17" and nearly all 15" computers) and 4GB memory, this can't be beat.
19 of 20 found the following review helpful:
Bought It - Like It!!! Jul 30, 2010
I've had this HP G72-250US laptop for a few weeks and am very happy with it. I have had an HP zd8000 for about 5 yrs. and it's still working OK but this new one is faster, better screen, larger storage, etc. - Actually, it kicks butt over the zd8000.
I waited 'til they got rid of Vista to buy and like the Windows 7 so far.
I bought it at Staples and it was $599. Plus an instant $50 discount and an HP $50 rebate so I end up spending $499 (not bad if you consider my zd8000 was about $1,800+).
14 of 15 found the following review helpful:
Beautiful, HUGE 17.3 screen--FAST AND QUIET HP LAPTOP Sep 13, 2010
By Daisy S
The main reason that I bought this laptop is because of the HUGE 17.3 screen and also because it is made by HP!
PROS about this HP Computer:
1) Fast wireless N Card built in. I just turned on the computer, and the card read my router and I was up and running on the internet in just 5 minutes! (Having the built in card on this desktop like the laptops do was a MUST for me. Also, the internet runs so quickly with this card in the computer, I am just amazed!
2) The Hard Disk is so so quiet, even when it runs it is hard to hear and the hard disk does not run often. (Good signs!)
3) Love the "standard like 101 keyboard" which has a seperate number pad like the large standard keyboards do. This is one of the main reasons I wanted a 17.3 vs a 15.6 HP Laptop was that I like having a number pad!
4) This laptop runs much cooler than my last laptop did,however, I bought a cooling fan and I placed the computer on top of this and it runs very very cool. (I would not own a laptop without a separate cooling fan as laptops tend to run hotter than desktops do).
5) Love the Windows 7 Home Premium that is on this computer. In my last computer, I had Vista and I had a love/hate relationship with Vista. So this experience so far with Windows 7 has been great.
6) The keyboard is almost totally silent, something I love! It did take about 2 weeks for me to get used to this FLAT ISLAND STYLE KEYBOARD because I am a touch typist and used to the clanky clank type of keyboard. Now, I love the flat and quiet keyboard.
** NONE WITH THIS LAPTOP PC at all, it is PERFECT!
However, with Windows 7 here is my experience:
* Before buying this superb HP 17.3 Laptop in August,2010, I thought about it for more than six months! So I bought this HP Laptop and also the HP P6510F Desktop and love them both! I knew I wanted an HP 17.3 laptop and this one is just perfect! I am used to upgrading over the years as each time I buy a new computer with new Windows, I have found I had to buy all new software as most of the old softwares would not run with the new Windows program. In addition, about 50% of the time, I had to buy a new printer as well. The last two times I bought a new system, with Vista and now Windows 7, I was able to update the driver of my printer online and install with no problem. All in all, I am so pleased with my purchase and love this HP 17.3 laptop!
See all 36 customer reviews on Amazon.com